We seek personal essays - the informal stories of your life, your loves, yourself. To quote Phillip Lopate, “The hallmark of the personal essay is its intimacy.” We welcome darkness and we love humor—show us the minutiae of your day, your memories, complaints, and whims. Make us smile, make us mad, make us care.
We’re open for submissions year round. For your work to be considered, please follow these guidelines:
- We use Submittable to process all submissions.
- Please send no more than 2 submissions within a 30-day period.
- Include a short bio in your cover letter.
- We are not currently looking for formal, academic essays.
- We do not currently accept poetry.
- Word count should be under 5,000.
- We do not accept previously published essays. This includes pieces published in any online space, including personal blogs.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted. Please notify us immediately if your piece has been accepted elsewhere.
- Your submissions should be properly formatted (please double space!) and free of typos. Need an example? Click here: http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html
Please allow 30 days for our response. If your piece is accepted, our experienced editing team will work with you to best showcase your work.
Please note that daCunha is a subscriber-based publication. Select works appear in front of our paywall throughout the year, but your story will generally be available only to subscribers.
To get a feel for us, check out the rotating selection of free fiction and creative nonfiction: https://dacunha.global/
If you have questions, please email Lisa Renee: email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest!
"Every man has within himself the entire human condition.” - Michel de Montaigne