We seek personal essays - the informal stories of your life, your loves, yourself. To quote Phillip Lopate, “The hallmark of the personal essay is its intimacy.” We welcome darkness and we love humor—show us the minutiae of your day, your memories, complaints, and whims. Make us smile, make us mad, make us care.
We’re open for submissions year round. For your work to be considered, please follow these guidelines:
- We use Submittable to process all submissions.
- Please send no more than 2 submissions within a 30-day period.
- Include a short bio in your cover letter.
- We are not currently looking for formal, academic essays.
- We do not currently accept poetry.
- Word count should be under 3,000.
- We do not accept previously published essays. This includes pieces published in any online space, including personal blogs.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted. Please notify us immediately if your piece has been accepted elsewhere.
- Your submissions should be properly formatted (please double space!) and free of typos. Need an example? Click here: http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html
Please allow 30 days for our response. If your piece is accepted, our experienced editing team will work with you to best showcase your work.
Please note that daCunha is a subscriber-based publication. Select works appear in front of our paywall throughout the year, but your story will generally be available only to subscribers.
To get a feel for us, check out the rotating selection of free fiction and creative nonfiction: https://dacunha.global/
You own the rights to your work. We ask that you don’t publish your work elsewhere while it’s on daCunha; you may request to remove it at any time.
+ Create an audio version of your story.
+ Perform your story live at one of our events.
+ Translate your story into another language.
+ If selected, we’ll publish your work in our annual book.
We’ll alert you if your story is adapted, in any of the above formats, by sending you a copy. You own the rights to all.
We won’t edit your work without your permission.
You confirm your work is yours.
We’re not paying at present, and we don’t get paid until our authors do.
We don't have a back catalogue. No dates are placed on the work we feature, and the way our members discover stories ensures every story is evergreen.
If you have questions, please email Lisa Renee: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest!
"Every man has within himself the entire human condition.” - Michel de Montaigne